Name: Tsuki Sushi Bar
Location: 509 Abbott Street, Vancouver, BC
Ever since spotting this restaurant on my way to the Old Spaghetti Factory, I’ve been desperate to try it. Luckily, just one week later, I was able to. On Friday November 9th at roughly 6:30pm,I went with a group of friends to try it out!
It was fairly small ( roughly 5-6 tables, one long communal table and bar seats). Despite the size, the place was almost jam packed! Luckily, we only had to wait 5 minutes before we were seated at the bar.
Without further ado, onto the food!
On the table:
- Deluxe Sashimi
- Greater Vancouver Roll
- White Roll
- Half & Half Spicy Sashimi
- Salmon Toro ( 4 aburi)
- Green Tea Rare Cheesecake
- Black Sesame Creme Brulee
- Earl Grey Ice Cream
- Miso Soup
Since the restaurant was full, the waitress gave us complimentary miso soup as compensation ( although we didn't mind the wait)!
- It's pretty standard miso soup
- Tofu was soft and the green onions were fresh
White Roll ($8.50):
"Dungeness Crab on top of Scallop Special Roll, torched w/Tsuki Sauce"
My friend, EngineerGirl, ordered this one.
- Real crab meat!
- The flavour combination was very good
- Wasn't too big a fan of the aburi on the crab meat
- Presentation was simple and elegant
- Scallop was very sweet and fresh
"Seared Tuna and Tobiko on top of Vancouver Roll"
This caught my attention right off the bat, so of course I had to order it!
- The tuna was seared so perfectly
- The mixture of tobiko, tuna and steamed tuna was delicious
- Presented in the same style of White Roll
- My favourite roll of the night
Golden Mantle Oysters ($1.50):
We originally ordered 8, but they ran out due to the high demand, so we settled for 5 instead.
- Part of their daily special $1.50/piece
- Very popular and goes fast!
- Small, with a crisp sharp taste
- For oysters in the same area, I'd prefer to go to Oyster Express instead
- Already have green onions and a sauce on top
Half & Half Spicy Sashimi ($9):
My sister ordered this one, she absolutely loves spicy food.
- Wasn't too spicy, slight bit of kick
- Sashimi was very fresh ( seems like they value that)
- Salmon & Tuna
- Comes with cucumbers slathered in the sauce
The last person in our group, M, choose this dish.
- Hamachi, Salmon, Tuna, Tako, Ika, Hotate, Amaebi
- All the sashimis were super fresh
- Hotate (Scallop) was sweet and crisp
- Tako was surprisingly not too chewy and very "clean" tasting
- Salmon, Tuna, Hamachi were all very good without any mushiness or fishy taste
- Aburi (Flame searing) is available for $0.25 more
- 4 out of the 6 were flame seared
- The fattiness of the fish was melt in your mouth good
- the sushi rice was a bit warm :(
The desserts were complimentary as well.
- Very fragrant and strong Earl Grey Flavour
- Creamy and smooth
- Probably the best ice cream I've ever tasted
Black Sesame Creme Brûlée ($5):
- Unique style, I've never had it in this form before
- Super creamy
- The mixture of the two was a match made in heaven
- Could NOT stop eating it!
Engineer Girl and M each ordered one of these.
- Very smooth
- Lots of green tea flavour
- Graham cookie base was a bit crumbly
- I don't get what's so "rare" in the cheesecake :S
- Food: Great
- Price: Roughly $94 with tip, $23.50/person
- Location: Free parking!
- Service: for the most part, was attentive and accommodating
- No cocktails at the time we went (6:30-8:15)
- Small space